Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Vanilla 1.0.1 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorstone
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2006 edited

Hi Steve,
    Can I use an additive in the mud mix like L'crete 3701? Here, I have available PVA liquid, L'crete products, PVA, etc. Still not sure what you mean by 'latex' additive.
    I thought that an additive that doesn't make the mix too sticky would be better than one that does, for sculpting.
    Also, re. the glass fibre, what length fibre, and what kind of material? I can source St. Gobain AR fibre here.
    Thanks,
    Stone
    • CommentAuthorstone
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2006

Re: Materials
    • CommentAuthorstone
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2006

Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorserendipity
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2006 edited

Happy Sculpting!
    Hi stone,

The fibre that you need can be found at concrete batch plants sometimes - though they do not always like to sell it to walk-in customers. I recommend calling ahead.

It is a standard concrete additive for higher strength concrete mixes and it is fiberglass strands. Typically available in 3/4 inch and 1.5 inches. You want the 3/4.

If you can find it, glass fiber is better than fiberglass and is identifyable as it is comprised of straight pieces as opposed to the fiberglass which looks like a handful of hair all clumped together.

The latex additive does help to make the mix sticky which is definitely what you want. This really allows you to carve intricate detail and stamp detailed prints into the cement. It also helps it to cling to verticle surfaces and is a must have for overhangs over 90 degrees.

Liquid acrylic can be found at some concrete supply stores which is also a great additive for the mix if liquid latex is not available. This could be the most important ingredient you can add to a sand/portland mix to improve sculptability.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers.

Steve Goodale
    www.ArtificialRock.ca
    1-888-267-0802
    • CommentAuthorstone
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2006

Hey Steve,
    Thanks so much for the information. Also can't wait to see how the Tutorials progress.
    Stone
    • CommentAuthorstone
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2006

Hi Steve, just wondering about the stickiness of the mix with latex/polymer additive in it. Do you use a release agent on the texture pad/or mix? The mix used in your article doesn't look that sticky, as it trowels smooth.
    Thanks,
    Stone
    Happy Sculpting!
    Hi Stone,

The mix in the tutorial was just sand and portland. I needed it to be very light in color to have the pictures show any detail. Even when using the stick mixes I am able to get the smooth finish though - could you elaborate further on what you encounter with the "sticky mixes"?

As for the release - I always use the release on both the texture mat and the concrete itelf. I do not add texture until the cement is fairly set up(firm) as you dont want to intruduce very much release into the cement if you are still working it.

Cheers.

Steve Goodale
    www.Artificialrock.ca
    1-888-267-0802
    Happy Sculpting!
    Another common trick that I have seen some old timers using is to add a small dash of liquid soap to a mix to help it be less sticky. This is good for pool floors and vermiculite mixes however for most artificial rock sculpting the sticky mixes are best as they give you more creative control over the shape of the concrete - it stays where you put it!